Wednesday 9 April 2014

DRAFT - Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing 

task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression 

from it to full product?

I feel as though my ability to use different technologies and softwares has improved hugely. Because I primarily lacked knowledge of programs such as Photoshop and PagePlusXP during the preliminary task, It was not a detailed as it could have been. Before this coursework, I had never really used Photoshop, except for editing simple photographs. PagePlusXP was a brand new program I was taught how to use by my teacher, especially for this project. Also with the help of teacher and peer guidance, extra research, I improved my final product greatly.

As the course progressed, my knowledge of these programs improved very quickly, and I used them to what I believe was a high standard. With the many tricks and skills that I learned and adapted, I ensured that my final product was to the best of it's creativity and ability. By creating drafts, this allowed me to receive crucial feedback to work on, ensuring the most professional and cleanest finish possible.

With a lack of technology knowledge, and understanding of magazine conventions that make a magazine more successful, My preliminary magazine did not meet it's best potential and ability. However it was very useful in regards to developing my understanding of the technology and the skills required. Throughout the coursework I was constantly learning new tricks and skills, as well as still learning through the research that I carried out to widen my knowledge. In order for my to create a good magazine, I had to look deeper into my audience, fonts and house styles. This allowed me to produce the design that most compliments my chosen audience, by playing around with different styles during my draft. When choosing the correct consumer for my product, I had to be confident, and this is something I believe is important in the production of any media product.

When exploring conventions, I have learned that the most important is the image and overall layout of the magazine. Simplicity is something that is widely used, and this is I chose a simple colour scheme to ensure that the photograph is allowed to stand out. And image is a key way of attracting any particular audience. The house style of a magazine also ensures a magazine has a unique feel, therefore something that I felt was important to add. The development of my layout was critical at this point of progression. This is mainly due to the fact that I found in my research that males aged 16-25 appreciated the aesthetics of a product. I believe this is something I highlighted throughout my magazine with the help of technology.

During the preliminary work, my layout suffered badly as I was unaware of how important the F,Z and E designs were when ensuring that the magazine looked respectable when competing with other brands. I was also unaware of beneficial techniques such as the spiral effect and rule of thirds were, when spacing features perfectly and putting them across in the correct manor. The overall lack of creativity and convention was due to my uneducated approach to these techniques and conventions. Furthermore, it was not beneficial that my audience was not precisely identified, because the design and colour schemes were not researched in enough detail in order to show planning and development.

Overall, I have come to the conclusion that Photoshop is without a doubt the most useful tool in regards to the construction of my magazine, and without it I would have suffered when trying to produce such a high quality product. Even though programs like Paint and Word were came in handy during certain areas of the coursework, I feel they would have not allowed me to have been as detailed and creative in the construction of my product.  My preliminary magazine highlights a large amount of progression, as I have made it evident that there was little knowledge and consideration in account of magazine conventions and styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment